WHAT WE OFFER
HM Safaris (Hakuna matata) has facilitated and successfully managed hundreds of group
tours to various parts of Tanzania and neighboring East African countries.
At HM you will find a team of cheerful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic professionals trained to rise to any occasion. Our working tools and vehicles are always kept in exceptional condition and undergo strict maintenance regime. Each vehicle is designed to offer you utmost comfort and reliability during service. Our staff are passionate, polite and engage with each guest in the most courteous and professional manner. It will not surprise us should an extra connection be made when its time to say goodbyes, both with our land and your guide.
our top safaris
Tanzania is the ideal African safari location. Several parks and conservation areas can be visited in a few days, allowing visitors to take in a wide range of Tanzania's landscapes and scenery in a relatively short period of time.
Try the combination
Safari lodges provide some of the most reliable accommodation for weary travelers seeking relaxation after a long day of hiking, mountain biking or game driving. While some are not as opulent or extravagant as their luxury safari lodge cousins, safari lodge rooms are clean, comfortable and offer all the modern conveniences one would expect in a hotel or lodge including: en suite bathrooms, hot showers, comfortable beds and solid, non canvas walls!
Active to cultural safari
Northern Tanzania has a safari itinerary for everybody and every budget. The majority of visitors fly or drive in to the Serengeti and only spend time in the region where the migration is present, which means they often miss the hidden gems of this spectacular park.
WHY CHOOSE US
WHY CHOOSE HM Safaris
check all our packages
our best selling packages
Looking for inspiring Tanzania safari ideas? You’re a step closer to your dream safari. These tour ideas are the best way to get started planning your trip. These are our previous visitor’s favorite tours. Feel free to choose any ideas that fit your wishes.
ANIMALS FOUND IN TANZANIA
TAKE A LOOK
General Travel Information
TAKE A LOOK
Prior to booking your safari you will need to have proof of insurance. We can recommend insurance carriers for US clients should you need to purchase this.
The currency of Tanzania is the Tanzanian shilling (TZS). There is no restriction on the importation of foreign currency; however the import or the export of Tanzania shillings is prohibited. You will be able to change foreign exchange at the bank at the airport and also at any other banks in the major towns. The currency of preference is the US dollar (USD). We recommend you change enough money for smaller personal expenses such as shopping, meals and drinks in town restaurants and keep the rest in USD. Most tips, gifts, drinks, etc. can be paid for in dollars.
Credit cards are accepted at larger, upscale hotels and some restaurants.
You can check current exchange rates here http://www.xe.com/ucc/.
Safaris offer an unparalleled opportunity for scenic and wildlife photography and cameras are strongly recommended. Most animal activity occurs during crepuscular hours (dusk and dawn) which provide excellent photography lighting. You may witness a kill or see a lioness introducing her cubs to the pride for the first time and you’ll probably want to have a camera handy for this breathtaking moment! An SLR camera with a telephoto lens is advisable, and while 200mm is adequate, anything from 300mm and higher is recommended for good detailed shots. Tripods are also advisable for larger lenses (300mm and greater). For night drives, you may even wish to bring a night vision camcorder or camera.
Don’t forget to bring your battery charger or spare batteries and adapter for all non UK plugs.
Clothing and miscellaneous items:
Light, neutral-colored clothing is generally advised. Bright colors aren’t recommended on game drives and dark colored clothing, particularly dark blues and black, tends to attract the diurnal (active during the day) tsetse flies more than light colors. It will get warm (or even hot!) during the day (low 30 C or high 80s F) and depending on time of year or your location, evenings can get downright chilly.
Safari dress code is casual and comfortable and modest. You may wish to bring something slightly nicer for dinners at the lodge but it should still be light weight and easy to pack. Unless you will be dining with the president of Tanzania, there’s absolutely no need to pack formal clothing!
A suggested packing list would be:
- 2 – 3 PAIRS OF LIGHTWEIGHT PANTS / TROUSERS (COTTON IS RECOMMENDED)
- 1 PAIR OF SHORTS
- 2-3 LONG SLEEVED SHIRTS
- 2-3 SHORT SLEEVED OR SLEEVELESS SHIRTS
- WARM SWEATER OR FLEECE
- UNDERGARMENTS AND SOCKS (COTTON IS RECOMMENDED)
- SWIMMING SUIT
- CAP OR SCARF FOR HEAD AND/OR NECK
- SUNSCREEN – WE RECOMMEND A MINIMUM SPF25
- TOILETRIES – SHAMPOO, CONDITIONER, TOOTH PASTE, TOOTH BRUSH, DENTAL FLOSS, HAIR BRUSH OR COMB, BODY AND FACE LOTION, RAZOR, EYE DROPS, LIP BALM, TISSUES.
We cannot stress it enough – less is more! You’ll most likely be taking a charter flight or two while on safari. Charter flights have a weight limit of 15 kgs (33 lbs) per person – including hand luggage – so keep it light. Please do not bring hard sided suitcases. Soft sided suitcases or duffle bags are perfect for a safari.
- STAY HYDRATED. HM SAFARIS PROVIDES YOU WITH AMPLE BOTTLED WATER FOR YOUR SAFARI. YOU WILL ALSO HAVE BOTTLED WATER FOR YOUR ROOM/TENT. PARTS OF TANZANIA ARE ARID AND THE SUN GETS VERY INTENSE DURING THE DAY. ONE OF THE BEST WAYS TO HELP ADJUST TO THE NEW TIME ZONE AND CLIMATE IS TO ENSURE YOU’RE DRINKING ENOUGH WATER.
- WHAT ABOUT WHEN MOTHER NATURE CALLS? OUR DRIVERS KNOW AND ANTICIPATE THAT YOU’LL NEED TO TAKE BREAKS. JUST GIVE THEM A BIT OF NOTICE AND THEY CAN FIND A SAFE, ISOLATED PLACE WHERE YOU CAN EXIT THE VEHICLE. THE BEST PLACE IS BEHIND THE VEHICLE. YOU WON’T NEED TO GO OFF THE ROAD AND YOU CAN HIDE BEHIND THE SPARE TIRE!
- ONLY DRINK BOTTLED WATER. MOST OF THE TIME THIS WILL BE EASY TO REMEMBER, AND IN ALL RESTAURANTS, ETC. YOU WILL ONLY BE SERVED BOTTLED WATER. HOWEVER, DON’T FORGET TO USE IT WHEN BRUSHING TEETH AND TO TRY NOT TO OPEN YOUR MOUTH IN THE SHOWER.
- STAY SHADED. TANZANIA IS LOCATED ONLY A FEW DEGREES SOUTH OF THE EQUATOR, AND DURING THE DAY YOU’LL NOTICE THE INTENSITY OF THE AFRICAN SUN. A BRIMMED HAT, SUNGLASSES AND SUN BLOCK ARE ESSENTIAL IN KEEPING THE SUN OFF YOU DURING THE PRIME HOURS. KEEPING LIMBS COVERED DURING THIS TIME OF DAY IS ALSO ADVISABLE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU BURN EASILY.
- STAY BITE-FREE. WHEN IT COMES TO BITING INSECTS, THE TWO MAIN CULPRITS ARE MOSQUITOES AND TSETSE FLIES. MOSQUITOES CARRY THE RISK OF MALARIA, SO IN ADDITION TO TAKING MALARIA TABLETS, IT’S WISE TO ENSURE YOU KEEP YOURSELF COVERED WHEN THEY ARE MOST ACTIVE – ONCE THE SUN GOES DOWN.
- THE TSETSE FLY IS NOT PRESENT IN ALL AREAS OF TANZANIA, BUT IN AREAS WHERE IT IS PRESENT, YOUR FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH IT WON’T TAKE LONG! TSETSE FLIES ARE DIURNAL (ACTIVE DURING DAYLIGHT). DARK COLORS DO ATTRACT THEM MORE THAN LIGHT COLORS, BUT YOU WILL INEVITABLY GET BITTEN A FEW TIMES IF YOU’RE IN AN AREA WHERE THEY ARE PRESENT. TSETSE FLIES DO CARRY TRYPANOSOMES AND SOME CAN CAUSE TRYPANOSOMIASIS – OTHERWISE KNOWN AS SLEEPING SICKNESS. HOWEVER, IT IS RARE FOR IT TO BE TRANSMITTED TO HUMAN AND MOST CASES ARE OF ANIMAL SLEEPING SICKNESS. THE BITE FEELS SIMILAR TO THAT OF A HORSEFLY. OFTEN TIMES YOU’LL SEE THE FLY LAND ON YOU AND IF YOU’RE QUICK, YOU’LL GET A CHANCE TO GET THEM BEFORE THEY GET YOU!
- TANZANIA USES THE UNITED KINGDOM THREE PRONGED PLUG AND 220V. MOST CHARGERS HAVE CONVERTERS SO YOU WILL ONLY NEED AN ADAPTER IF YOU ARE TRAVELLING FROM A COUNTRY THAT DOES NOT USE THE UK PLUG. IT IS NOT UNCOMMON FOR HOTELS AND CAMPS TO TURN OFF THE ELECTRICITY DURING THE DAY AS MOST OF THEM ARE USING GENERATORS. HOURS OF ELECTRICITY WILL BE POSTED AND YOU CAN CHARGE ALL CAMERA/PHONE/LAPTOP BATTERIES THEN.
- FOR CELL/MOBILE PHONES FREQUENCY, ALL PUBLIC OPERATORS USE GSM 900/1800 MHZ. MANY PHONES ARE QUAD BAND, WHICH COVERS ALL THE MAIN FREQUENCIES AND WILL WORK IN TANZANIA. THERE IS GOOD RECEPTION IN MOST OF THE TOWNS AND AT SOME OF THE HOTELS. YOUR DRIVER WILL ALSO BE ABLE TO TELL YOU WHERE YOU CAN GET GOOD RECEPTION.
- VISITORS SHOULD HAVE AN INTERNATIONAL CERTIFICATE OF VACCINATION AGAINST YELLOW FEVER. THESE MUST BE ISSUED AT LEAST 10 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE.
- A HEPATITIS A VACCINATION IS RECOMMENDED
- WHERE APPLICABLE, A BOOSTER FOR TETANUS-DIPHTHERIA IS ALSO RECOMMENDED. PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL PHYSICIAN / GP FOR YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS.
- ANTI-MALARIA TABLETS ARE RECOMMENDED TO BE TAKEN A FEW DAYS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL, DURING YOUR STAY AND FOR A PERIOD AFTER RETURNING. MALARIA IS ONE OF THE LARGEST HEALTH RISKS TO VISITORS, AND LOCALS, AND WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND ALL GUESTS TAKE THE FULL, PRESCRIBED DOSAGE OF MEDICATION. IT ALSO HELPS TO KEEP YOUR ARMS AND LEGS COVERED, PARTICULARLY AT DUSK AND DAWN, AND TO USE DEET (N,N-DIETHYL-META-TOLUAMIDE) BASED MOSQUITO REPELLENT.
- IF YOU SUFFER FROM SENSITIVE DIGESTION YOU MIGHT WISH TO BRING UPSET STOMACH MEDICATION SUCH AS IMMODIUM OR KAOPECTATE. CHANGES IN FOOD, WATER, ETC. CAN CAUSE MINOR UPSETS IN SOME PEOPLE AND MOST OVER THE COUNTER MEDICATIONS ARE NORMALLY ADEQUATE.
We will be collecting you from the Kilimanjaro International Airport (JRO), which is a small, manageable airport that has many connections from neighboring international airports including Nairobi (NBO) and Dar es Salaam (DAR). The only major carrier to fly directly into KIA is KLM / Northwestern airlines. For our guests flying in from Europe and North America, you will most likely need to fly via Amsterdam if taking KLM. Another option is to fly into Nairobi (NBO) and catch a connecting flight to JRO. Many major airlines fly into Nairobi. Some are: British Airways, Kenya Airways, Qatar Airways and Virgin Atlantic. Precision Air and Kenya Airways offer flights from Nairobi to Kilimanjaro and the flight time from Nairobi to JRO is just under an hour. It is also possible to fly into Dar es Salaam in Tanzania and catch a connecting flight to JRO. Flight time between Dar es Salaam and JRO is around 75 minutes. It is also possible to come via South Africa.
There are three main domestic airlines inTanzania:
Coastal Aviation – which flies along the eastern coast of Tanzania. Many flights to Zanzibar and southeastern Tanzania are with Coastal Aviation.
Precision Air – offers several flights from DAR and NBO
Regional Air – We use them for most of the flights from Arusha into the Serengeti.
We can help arrange layovers and hotels for late arrivals and we can also advise you on the best connecting flights to take once you’ve booked your main flight into Africa.
We can also arrange transportation to and from the airport and layover hotels to ensure a stress-free journey from the moment you land in Africa.
Departure taxes: in most cases the departure tax is already factored into the price of your ticket. Zanzibar airport does impose a departure tax which varies according to flight destination.
Most non-Tanzanian citizens are required to have a Visa for entry into Tanzania. While it is advisable to obtain the visa at your local embassy prior to arrival in Tanzania, it is possible to purchase them at most major points of entry to the United Republic of Tanzania: principally Namanga, Tunduma, Sirari, Horohoro, Kigoma port, Dar es Salaam International Airport, Kilimanjaro International Airport, Zanzibar Harbour and Zanzibar Airport. Many people come to Tanzania via Nairobi, Kenya, in which case two visas will need to be purchased, one for Kenya and one for Tanzania. It is not difficult to purchase your visa at the Tanzanian airport and the price of the visa will not be higher if it is purchased there. However, during peak travel times queues/lines are likely to be long, so please consider which option is best for your needs.
Visas are valid 90 days from date of issue and passports must have six months remaining before expiration. More information on the various types of Tanzanian visas can be found here.
Exemptions: Citizens of Commonwealth countries are not required to obtain visas unless they are citizens of the United Kingdom, Canada, Nigeria, or India.
What People Says
We loved our safari with HM and Ralph as our guide! The animals were unbelievably fantastic and we saw all of the “Big Five”. Our guide was so knowledgeable and accommodated our every wish! It was the trip of a lifetime and we have memories that we will cherish forever.
Our safari was an amazing experience that provided memories which will last a lifetime. HM Safaris worked with us to design the safari around our preferences. HM took care of all the details so all we had to do was enjoy the experiences and learn about the areas we visited. Our guide, a native Tanzanian, was very knowledgeable about the history, culture and nature of his country. We took 1100 pictures and are having a difficult time deciding how to choose the best few to share with friends.
Hi Gideon, We would like to thank you for the great time we had during safari trips. I can tell you that all families have felt very well during all trips. We have been very glad to have OMAR and EDWARD as drivers and guides, showing us the wonderful places and Fauna. I’m very glad that I could find such professional approach in Tanzania. Good job, well done! Asante Sana, my friend! Hakuna Matata! We wish you a Happy New Year and relaxed holidays closed to your beloved ones! Wish you prosperous 2020 with many, many customers!
We really enjoyed the trip and learned a lot, you were an excellent guide. Even in times of distress, you knew how to react calmly. You managed to get us out of danger in a professional and correct way. Thanks to you, we ended the safari with a great experience! We wish you all the best! Keep in touch!
Hey EDY, we feel like we didn’t thank you enough for the last week we have been with you. Your were such a wonderful guide to us, your English is great, and your knowledge is outstanding. Your are very special and we were lucky to have the chance to learn from you. We will definitely recommend our friends to travel with you when they will come to Tanzania. Meanwhile, we hope one day you will come to visit in Europe so we can be your guides for the visit. Wish you all the best and hopefully other families will enjoy Tanzania with you too.
We have just completed a safaris in Northern Tanzania (January 23 through January 30) using your company’s services through HM Safaris. All in all we were pleased especially with our guide-driver Jeremiah Ngoka. He was most helpful, reliable, always on time. I would recommend him for your English speaking clients. He has a good knowledge of the animals, bird, trees and Tanzania in general. I think he would be a good addition to your permanent staff.
WHAT THEY SAY
kindly give your review
Here is what our clients have to say about our services, kindly give your precious review